1. Need to paint a room, but hate the noxious fumes? Add two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract to a gallon of (water based) paint. It neutralizes the odor.
2. If you have stains on your golf balls or piano keys, erase them-with an old fashioned pink eraser.
2. Did you spill coffee on the carpet? Sop it up with a baby wipe. It won’t even stain.
4. To prevent tools from rusting, keep a charcoal briquette inside the toolbox. It absorbs moisture.
5. Don’t use paper towels or rags to clean windows and mirrors. They’ve got lint on them. Instead, use coffee filters. They’re lint-free
6. Attention cheaters: Lipstick stains on a collar go away with a dab of petroleum jelly.
7. Ink is one of the hardest substances to get off of skin. If a pen leaks on your hand, rub shortening on it to help remove the stain.
8. Hard-to-remove price stickers can be taken off with a dollop of corn oil.
9. Denture-cleaning tablets don’t clean just fake teeth. Dissolve one in water to polish diamonds…or hubcaps.
10. Toothache? Apply a dab of Tabasco sauce to the gum.
11. When a metal shaving-cream can gets wet and rusts on the bottom, it can stain a shelf or counter top. To prevent this, apply a coat of nail polish to the bottom of the can and let dry.
Tips from bathroomreader.com
1. Having a copper-polish emergency? Look in the fridge: Ketchup eliminates tarnish from copper.
2. It’s really gross to find meal worms in your cereal bowl. Keep them out of the cupboard with a few sticks of wrapped spearmint gum on the shelf. They hate the smell.
3. To repel ants, find where they’re coming into the house and spray the area with a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar. They hate the smell and it’s non-toxic.
4. Besides being great on steak, Worcestershire sauce makes an excellent brass polish. It also repairs scratched wood.
5. If you’ve got a dirty toilet bowl and you’re all out of cleanser you, try Tang.
6. Emergency shaving cream substitutes: Whipped Cream (not Cool Whip) or peanut butter(not the chunky kind)
7. More Shaving Cream Substitutes for the people who don’t like to use food Conditioner – Use your hair conditioner to shave. It’s a lot cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your face/legs really smooth. It’s also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn’t like when you tried it in your hair.
8. Broken Glass – Use a dry cotton ball to pick up little broken glass pieces of glass – The fibers catch ones you can’t see!
9. Reopening envelope – If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour. Voila! It unseals easily.
10. Over time, a thermos will absorb the stains and odors of whatever you put in it. To undo the damage, pour in a tablespoon of uncooked rice and a cup of warm water. Then shake it up and rinse it out.
Tips from Bathroomreader.com
Note: I try not to post older Tidbits on my website, but this one was sent to me from a friend and I never knew about this, and I think it’s worth posting for those who missed it from two years ago. Even though I am a guy and have no intentions of ever owning a purse, I still want to post this for all the people who have a purse or know someone that has one. Enjoy the read, some very disturbing findings……
Have you ever noticed girls/women who set their handbags on public toilet floors, then go directly to their dining tables and set it on the table? Happens a lot!
It’s not always the ‘restaurant food’ that causes stomach distress. Sometimes "what you don’t know will hurt you"!
This list of goodies was sent to me via email, it has some very good information in it, so I thought what better place to post it then on howbits.com. So enjoy and I hope it helps out some people, I am going to add two remedies to the bottom of the list that have worked great for me.
Eliminate ear mites. All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat’s ear…Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat’s skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.
Kills fleas instantly…Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog’s bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.
Rainy day cure for dog odor. Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.
Did You Know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately– without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers." (more…)
I found this article while surfing around, I recommend reading it if you care about your eye sight! There is 24 tips in the article from Reader’s Digest
1. Mix a cup of blueberries with a cup of yogurt for breakfast this morning. Blueberries are one of the richest fruit forms of antioxidants, and a study published in The Archives of Ophthalmology found that women and men who ate the greatest amount of fruit were the least likely to develop age-related macular degeneration (ARMD), the leading cause of blindness in older people.
2. Spread bilberry jam on your morning toast. Or take a bilberry supplement every morning. The berries contain compounds called anthocyanosides, which may protect the retina against macular degeneration.
3. Have spinach twice a week. Could be a spinach quiche, steamed spinach, or maybe Tuscan spinach — sautéed in some olive oil with garlic and raisins. Regardless, be sure to get your spinach. Studies find that lutein, a nutrient that is particularly abundant in spinach, may prevent age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. Ideally, get your lutein in combination with some form of fat (olive oil works great) for the best absorption.
Read the Article From Reader’s Digest
Ant problem? They are said to never cross a chalk line. So, get you chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.
For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm water and put Dawn dish washing liquid on it. Pour it all over the steps. They won’t refreeze.
To remove old wax from a glass candle holder, put it in the freezer for a few hours. Then take the candle holder out and turn it upside down. The wax will fall out.
To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, and bring to a boil on stove top.
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half, and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, and then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.