**Guide Updated on Jun 8th, 2012.
The most common issue that I run into with Godaddy is their email system. For the lowest service you are only allowed to send out 250 emails a day, each email is considered a "Relay SMTP sent email". Once you go past that, well you can't send out email again until it resets sometime in the evening. Another common issue is not being able to receive emails, and various pop3 and imap issues.
So to summarize what this article is about, it's how to switch over to a much better email server, which is Google Apps Standard which is free to use and easy to setup, effectively getting rid of Godaddys email relay problem and various issues with email receiving problems. I promise this fix does not mess with with php email script, such as WordPress sending out user confirmation emails.
Here is the walk through – Complete with pictures. This is very easy to do just takes a small amount of time.
So lets start from the beginning. Registration
- Sign up for Google Apps Free Standard Addition – Link Updated on 5-29-09
- Put in your domain Name – No you are not transferring your domain, this is just branding your email address to your website example – email@example.com. You don't have to fill in the organization info unless you really want to
Time To start with the Tutorial
Go Daddy has added a new tool to the website that will automatically set the MX records for Gmail, so now you can skip step 6 – 7 and start with Gmail Apps.
1. Go to Godaddy.com – Log into your account
2. Next Mouse over Domains Then click Domain Management
3. Click the name of your Domain
4. Locate and Click Total DNS Manager then click Launch.
**Skip the next two steps if you already used Godaddys Gmail MX Tool
5. Locate the MX Records – Delete Any Records in here – Do this by pressing the X on the Far side of the MX record line under TTL.
6. Add in New MX records by clicking Quick Add in the Bottom Left – This makes it so that Google apps can receive Email using your domain name.
Time to Start the Google Apps Setup
1. Log into your Google Apps Control Panel – You can either find this by going to your email to get the address where it is located at. The link should looks like this http://www.google.com/a/YOURDOMAIN.com/ If you want to you can just copy the link change it to your host name – Don't forget to change the .com if you domain is not .com, and don't forget the trailing / at the end.
2. Verfiy Your Domain by going to Setup At the top right of the screen. After the screen loads, on the left menu click Verify Domain Ownership.
3. The easiest way to verify is to upload a html file. From this point on Google will walk you through how to verify your website and they have tutorials along the setup process of how to use Google Apps.
Once you are done verifying you should now have a fully functioning Google Apps Account with Gmail. If you had need to add more email accounts or email nicknames to your domain Then go to Organization & Users.
From there you can either add a new user for the Google Apps account or you can add a multiple email address to one user account. To add additional email address to a pre-existing email account, just click on the users Name and then scroll down to Nicknames and add more nicknames. Nicknames are nothing more then additional email aliases.
If you have questions, suggestions or problems, please let me know and I will help out as best that I can.